Build sustainable and integrated infrastructure in Vermont for mental health promotion, suicide prevention, intervention and postvention
Individuals & Families:
- Help increase the number of youth and young adults advising the prevention activities of the Vermont Suicide Prevention Coalition.
- Help ensure the input of people with lived experience of mental health conditions, and suicide and attempt survivors, in advising suicide prevention initiatives and activities.
Non-profit, Community-Based, Faith-Based, and Businesses
- Increase partnerships between the Vermont Suicide Prevention Center and Vermont Suicide Prevention Coalition and other statewide coalitions, including peer recovery, survivors of suicide and suicide loss.
- Join the Vermont Suicide Prevention Coalition and integrate your organizational work into the state’s mental health promotion and suicide prevention infrastructure.
- Support the development of the Vermont Suicide Prevention Center as sustainable infrastructure for suicide prevention, intervention and postvention, through collaboration across a broad spectrum of agencies, institutions, and groups.
- Encourage professional, voluntary and other organizations to integrate effective, sustainable and collaborative suicide prevention programming.
- Strengthen relationships between mental health services, schools, Institutions of Higher Education, and family-serving and community organizations.
- Ensure Vermont 2-1-1 and other crisis lines are accessible and include effective suicide response.
- Increase the number of Vermont communities that use the Umatter for Schools and Umatter for Communities programs, ASIST, or other best-practice suicide prevention programs.
Schools, Colleges, and Universities:
- Use JED Foundation comprehensive model to assess current, and identify priority, prevention strategies that are well integrated into systems and services.
- Treat mental health conditions as you would treat physical health conditions – as treatable conditions that everyone deals with and that may require specialty care.
- Link general practitioners and community mental health services for integrated referral networks.
Policy and Systems:
- Sustain and strengthen leadership of collaborations across state agencies to advance suicide prevention.
- Integrate suicide prevention into all relevant health care reform efforts.
- Support the Vermont Suicide Prevention Center in coordinating suicide prevention efforts and helping local communities implement the recommendations of the Vermont Suicide Prevention Platform.