September 10, 2019 is World Suicide Prevention Day and Vermont Suicide Prevention Center is asking everyone to Take 5 to Save Lives! Take 5 to Save Lives is a public awareness campaign run by the National Council for Suicide Prevention in support of World Suicide Prevention Day. The goal of the campaign is to encourage everyone to take 5 simple actions steps that focus on preventing the tragedy of suicide. Check out take5tosavelives.org to learn more about the campaign and the 5 action steps you can take and in just 5 minutes!
The steps include:
- LEARN THE SIGNS. Although it may not always be obvious, individuals experiencing an emotional crisis usually exhibit one or more of the warning signs of suicide. Your ability to identify the signs will better prepare you to take action and could help save a life.
- KNOW HOW TO HELP. You shouldn’t be afraid to ask your friend if they’re having thoughts of suicide. By knowing exactly what to say and do, you’ll be ready to act and keep your friends and family safe.
- PRACTICE SELF-CARE. Research indicates that our mental fitness or wellness is crucial to our overall long-term health, and can even protect us from disease. Learn some tips for keeping mentally fit. Make it a priority!
- REACH OUT. If you or someone you know is in emotional distress you must reach out for help. You are not alone. Learn about different help options and how to take that first step in seeking help and care.
- SPREAD THE WORD. Let’s get people talking! By sharing the Take 5 campaign with 5 other people we can raise awareness of problem of suicide and equip people with easy tools to help themselves and others. Share the campaign on or before World Suicide Prevention Day- September 10, 2019. Together we can all make a difference!
By taking 5 minutes to learn about suicide, you will be making a difference in the world! Visit the toolkit section of the website for more information on how you can support and share the Take 5 campaign.