VERMONT MODEL SUICIDE RESPONSE PROTOCOLS
These documents provide example protocols based on the current evidence-based best practices in the field of suicide prevention and postvention. They are designed to offer users a template to guide thinking about how to respond to a suicide crisis.
These are research-based best practices, but their application will depend on the systems and resources available and the legal requirements in effect in an individual organization, profession, or community.
The brief introductory document provides an overview of application and first steps, as well as the full list of literature review.
Note: These are living documents that are reviewed by professionals in the fields represented here, and undergo regular revisions as new research is made available. Checking back to this site for updates is recommended.
- Emergency Medical Technicians, Paramedics, First Responders
- Faith Leaders
- Law Enforcement
- Mental Health/Substance Abuse
- Primary Care
- Social Services/Youth Services
- Workplace Supervisors
- Protocol Appendices
Emergency Medical Technicians, Paramedics, First Responders
- Faith Leaders Prevention/Intervention Protocols
- Faith Leaders Postvention Protocols
- Soul Shop for Faith Leaders
Gatekeepers – A Gatekeeper is anyone who can “open the gate” to help another find support and services. Gatekeepers include family members, friends, acquaintances, partners, members of the community, and YOU. We are all Gatekeepers and we play an integral role in preventing suicide.
Mental Health/Substance Abuse
- Mental Health/ Substance Abuse Prevention/Intervention Protocols
- Mental Health/ Substance Abuse Postvention Protocols
- Primary Care Prevention/Intervention Protocols
- Primary Care Postvention Protocols
- Suicide Prevention Toolkit for Primary Care Practices – A guide for Primary Care Providers and Medical Practice Managers. Developed by the Western Interstate Commission of Higher Education Mental Health Program (WICHE MHP) and the Suicide Prevention Resource Center (SPRC). This toolkit contains tools, information, and resources to implement state-of-the art suicide prevention practices and overcome barriers to treating suicidal patients in the primary care setting. You’ll find assessment guidelines, safety plans, billing tips, sample protocols, and more.
Social Services/Youth Services
- Social Services/ Youth Services Prevention/Intervention Protocols
- Social Services/ Youth Services Postvention Protocols
- APPENDIX A: Warning Signs
- APPENDIX B: Sample Verbal Responses
- APPENDIX C: When You May be Unsafe
- APPENDIX D: Screening Tools PHQ2, PHQ9
- APPENDIX E: HIPAA, HIPAA 2013, FERPA Guides, and Guide to Vermont Court Ordered Treatment
- APPENDIX F: Media Guide
- APPENDIX G: Risk Factors, Youth Risk Factors, and Protective Factors
- APPENDIX H: Resources
Umatter Professional Protocol Brochures and Posters
- Faith and Spiritual Leaders and Funeral Directors
- Law Enforcement and Emergency Services Providers
- Mental Health and Substance Abuse Providers
- Primary Care Physicians and Other Health Care Providers
- Social Service Professionals and Youth Workers
If you are interested in obtaining copies of brochures or posters please contact: email@example.com.