- This event has passed.
Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST) in St. Johnsbury, VT
March 31 @ 8:00 am - 4:00 pmFree
Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST) is a two-day interactive workshop in suicide first aid, brought to you by the Indiana Chapter of The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP). ASIST teaches participants to recognize when someone may have thoughts of suicide and work with them to create a plan that will support their immediate safety. Although ASIST is widely used by healthcare providers, participants do not need any formal training to attend the workshop—anyone 16 or older can learn and use the ASIST model.
Since its development in 1983, ASIST has received regular updates to reflect improvements in knowledge and practice, and over 1,000,000 people have taken the workshop. Studies show that the ASIST method helps reduce suicidal feelings in those at risk and is a cost-effective way to help address the problem of suicide.
Over the course of their two-day workshop, ASIST participants learn to:
• Understand the ways that personal and societal attitudes affect views on suicide and interventions
• Provide guidance and suicide first aid to a person at risk in ways that meet their individual safety needs
• Identify the key elements of an effective suicide safety plan and the actions required to implement it
• Appreciate the value of improving and integrating suicide prevention resources in the community at large
• Recognize other important aspects of suicide prevention including life-promotion and self-care
• Presentations and guidance from two LivingWorks registered trainers
• A scientifically proven intervention model
• Powerful audiovisual learning aids
• Group discussions
• Skills practice and development
• A balance of challenge and safety
ASIST helps to build regional networks of trained caregivers who can support each other and use common terminology to approach suicide and safety.
You must be present for BOTH 8 hour days of training to receive certification.
This Training meets the Suicide Prevention and Intervention Training Programs Requirements for New Teacher Licensure – Effective July 1, 2013 State Senate Bill 4 (SB4) – (IC20-18-2-22(b)) http://in.gov/issp/files/Teacher_Trainings_SB4_chart.pdf
Please note that you must be present on BOTH days, to receive certification and to be eligible for CEU’s. CEUs can be required from Livingworks: Click Here
Arrive at least 15 minutes early to get settled into your space before the training begins promptly
DATE: Monday, March 30, 2020 and Tuesday, March 31, 2020
TIME: 8:00am- 4:00pm (each day)
LOCATION: NVR Hospital
1315 Hospital Dr
St. Johnsbury, VT 05819