The Vermont Suicide Prevention Center (VTSPC) is a program of the Center for Health and Learning created as a public-private partnership with the Agency of Human Services that serves as a state-wide resource fostering a sustainable approach to suicide prevention in Vermont.
The VTSPC is publicly funded through grants from state agencies, and privately funded through foundation and donor support.
Under the advisement of the Vermont Suicide Prevention Coalition, the Vermont Suicide Prevention Center’s (VTSPC’s) mission is to create health-promoting communities in which schools, Institutions of higher education, public and private agencies, and people of all ages have the knowledge, attitudes, skills and resources to reduce the risk of suicide.
For more information about the VTSPC and the Advisory Group and Coalition click here.
Link to Coalition page: https://vtspc.org/coalition/
VTSPC brochure: https://vtspc.org/resource/vtspc-brochure/
- Build a sustainable infrastructure in Vermont for suicide prevention, intervention and postvention and substance abuse prevention
- Promote mental health and emotional wellness through collaborations focused on public education and prevention policies.
- Promote and support the implementation of effective evidence-based suicide prevention and early intervention programs and strategies in schools, communities and Vermont institutions of higher education
- Enhance strategies for early identification of mental health conditions and effective pathways leading to care and recovery.
- Cultivate strong state and local leadership for suicide prevention, intervention, treatment and recovery.
- Encourage access to primary care and mental health services that provide effective intervention, treatment, and follow-up.
- Support the use of data and personal stories used in public education and outreach to inform suicide prevention stratgeies.
- Provide strategic tools for developing suicide prevention programs, implement interventions, and promoting policies and protocols to prevent suicide.
Who We Serve
- Educators and School Health Professionals
- Health Care and Mental Health Services
- First Responders
- Social Service Organizations
- Faith Communities
- Community Coalitions
- Special Interest Groups
The Vermont Suicide Prevention Center develops, implements, and evaluates:
- Training and technical assistance for schools, institutions of higher education and public and private organizations that includes prevention and postvention awareness training, protocols, curriculum and public information
- Substance misuse prevention
- Mental health, depression awareness and compassion training
- Development of culturally appropriate prevention strategies
- Development and dissemination of upstream mental health promotion and public information materials